In This Together – How Fine Wine is re-thinking its Collective Models
Collective models have defined wine production for decades. In every winemaking country, producers have come together in local, regional and/or national enterprises to shape a common vision for quality, process and promotion. Individuals joined collective systems to achieve common economic goals.
In recent years, many of those people involved in Fine Wine have moved away from the idea of collective action, to embrace the idea of a ‘community’ based on shared values. Not only has this created a new language, but also new structures – people no longer need to be part of the same geographical community to share common interests.
The pandemic has already overturned many assumptions – what does it mean for the Fine Wine community? How does it maintain a community, when people can no longer get together?
- Marc Almert, Chef Sommelier Baur au Lac & Baur au Lac Vins, ASI Best Sommelier of the World 2019
- Michael Baum, Owner and CEO, Château de Pommard and Vivant
- Vanessa Conlin MW, Head of wine, Wine Access
- Michael Moosbrugger, CEO Schloss Gobelsburg and Österreichische Traditionsweingüter President
- Raquel Seabra, Executive board member, Sogrape, Portugal
Some of the questions we discussed:
- What aspects of the appellation systems are still relevant?
- When provenance is not enough, how can we promote quality in a competitive market?
- What will a borderless Fine Wine community look like, if it’s not based on geography?
- Can a community guarantee inclusivity?
- What will a collective promotion or distribution system mean for individual identities?
- What’s the best way to harness Fine Wine’s collective intelligence?
- What does all of this mean for a Fine Wine distributor, sommelier or consumer?
For our written analysis of this Insight Series, see our article Five reasons to consider collective models – How coming together could futureproof the Fine Wine world
The ARENI International Insight Series are part of our annual research and action programme. These events provide an exclusive platform for international thought-leaders to share ideas and address global issues collectively.